Monday, August 27, 2012

MAMA'S LITTLE BABY by Julie Kitayama


Dear Stupid Ass Questions: I heard that mama’s little baby likes shortnin’ shortnin’, mamma’s little baby likes shortnin’ bread. Is shortnin’ good for babies? I have a 3 month old and will start feeding it to him if it’s ok. Maybe I could melt it down and put it in his bottle?

Size DOES matter so click picture to enlarge

JULIE: Boy I'm glad someone is still listening to folk music and taking from it the traditions that have long made this country strong.  Shortnin' bread is good for babies and adults just the same.  The only problem I see is your idea of melting it down.  I don't think that will work.  Shortnin' bread is friend bread dough made of corn meal, flour, baking powder, eggs, hot water and shortnin' so rather than melting it down, you should grind it up in a food processor and then mix it in with your baby's milk a little at a time.  If you don't make your own shortnin' bread just remember, "you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, walk right in it's around the back, just a half a mile from the railroad track."  But don't steal it because once they "caught me with the skillet, caught me with the led, caught me with the gal makin' short'nin' bread; Paid six dollars for the skillet, six dollars for the led, Spent six months in jail eatin' short'nin' bread."

No comments: