Tuesday, August 28, 2012

COOKING WITH SHAQWEEDA by Julie Kitayama


Dear Stupid Ass Questions: I love to cook and make up recipes. I’d love to make a cookbook out of all my favorites. Do you think I should change my name to Betsy Crocker? I don't think Shaqweeda May Brown would work so well.

Size DOES matter so click picture to enlarge

JULIE: It's all about the demographic you are trying to reach.  Take Jacques Pepin, people buy his cookbooks for French recipes like coq au vin, ratatouille and palmiers.  If you are looking to make Italian food like gnocchi, Osso buco and tiramisu you turn to Mario Batali.  Their names say it all. If you change your name to Betsy Crocker you would probably appeal to the older, more patriotic home cook.  If you keep your name of Shaqweeda May Brown you'd appeal to the more classic, southern home cook.  

I think your recipes can help you decide.  If you've got a great apple pie recipe go with Betsy, if you have a great sweet potato pie recipe, go with Shaqweeda.  Roasted chicken, glazed carrots, dinner rolls and angle food cake recipes...Betsy.  Fried chicken, collard greens, corn bread and red velvet cake recipes...Shaqweeda.  If you want your cookbook to appeal to a broader, more generic home cook you should use the pen name,  Jane Doe-nut.   

No comments: