Wednesday, March 20, 2013

FRAUD OR GREAT IDEA by Joel West


Dear Stupid Ass Questions: My bedroom ceiling just fell in but, I kinda like the extra light it adds to the room. Could I tell the insurance company that there was a sky light there so they replace it with one. I could buy an old window from the junk yard down the street and leave it lying on the floor so that it looks like I was telling the truth. 

Size DOES matter so click picture to enlarge


Dear Sunshine,
So your bedroom ceiling fell in. I'm so sorry to hear that. You like the sunlight. Bully for you! You want to defraud the insurance company. How can I say yes? Understand, dear Sunshine, that insurance company adjusters can tell the difference between a properly installed sky light and a window or piece of glass tossed in the pile to look like a sky light. Let's start at the beginning.  Back in the dawn of time, cities developed “building codes” which were designed to make dwellings safe places to live. As well, Insurance companies developed “riders” so that sky lights could be predeclared. I can't stop you from trying to convince your insurance company that you had a sky light but I will predict one of several scenarios:

1: Your insurance company will look at the window laying on the floor and tell you that you are an idiot – result no dollars.

2: They will look at your policy and see that you did not pre-declare a skylight – result no dollars.

3: They will sue your ass for fraud. - result 0 dollars.

I suggest that in your next home, you just drill a hole in the roof.

No comments: