Thursday, March 21, 2013

ARTSY FARTSY by Joel West




Dear Stupid Ass Questions: My best friend is a GREAT artist & I would love to do the work she does. Could I jack her work, change a few things and scribble out her name then add mine? I could say if people inquire about the scribble that it’s my trademark.    

Size DOES matter so click picture to enlarge


Dear Arty,
While I understand the temptation of “jacking” your friend's work, let's unpack this a bit. A friend, is not someone with whom you have exchanged a few pokes on Facebook or has retweeted you. A friend is someone with whom you have a bond of mutual trust and affection. Not somebody who's stuff you “jack”. If you are “jacking” a friend's art, that makes you a sociopath. A sociopath is person who doesn't have a conscience. I suggest that in “jacking” your 'friend's' art work you are betraying a trust and are aiming way too low. You should really be looking at getting a job as CEO of a multinational corporation or running for office.

No comments: